Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill B[_3_] Bill B[_3_] is offline

Default Protective coating for acrylic painted surface?

I have small wooden box made with basswood, sanded and painted with
white Acrylic paint I want to protect against scratches, dirt, and
being cleaned. The paint is "Delta Creamcoat" white, Blanc, semi-
opaque I got at Michael's artist supplies. It comes in a little white
bottle of a few ounces. I thinned the paint with water and applied
several coats to avoid brush stokes. It looks good but the paint seems
to wash off easily with water so I'm wondering what I might add to
protect the paint from being washed off or scratched. I don't need a
shinny finish, a dull smooth white is fine, but I'm worried if the box
is cleaned with water or Windex, or somesuch, the paint may come off
or get scratched.

I read some articles indicating some sort of wax may help, or possibly
a coat of varnish. I'm doing some experiments now with a scrap piece
of wood and some "Delta Creamcoat" water based varnish but it hasn't
dried yet. Seems like a water based varnish would have the same
problem.

What about car polish? I have some turtle wax "Finish 2000" that could
be tried. Or maybe just some regular wax from a candle?

Any ideas?

-Bill