Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default OT electric brake on 5th wheel

On Jul 14, 11:04 pm, "RAM³" wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote in news:SbudnbD_-
:

You'd need to find a cheap
way to sense the degree of braking you're getting at any moment, then
figure out how you're going to get product liability insurance for a
high-tech braking system that's installed in an aftermarket environment..

How cheap do you want?

Would ~$120 be about right?

The Jordan Ultima 2020 uses a steel cable that clamps to the brake pedal to
sense braking effort and applies current proportionately.

I've been using one for 6 years. I chose it because it would apply the
trailer's brakes even in the event of total hydraulic failure in the truck.
grin

The BrakeSmart uses a transducer mounted in the Master Cylinder to achieve
the same function as the Jordan's cable. This unit runs ~$350, IIRC.

Proportional braking isn't Rocket Science. grin

I kinda agree, and I miss the old line pressure based brake controller
I used to have. I think Tim is talking about closing the loop on the
electric brakes to prevent lockup, ie. antilock or ABS type control
with individual wheel speed feedback. This would be a great feature
if the basic archaic magnet/brake architecture could respond fast
enough. Probably could even figure a way to have the brake drum act
as a tone wheel modulating the DC brake current to provide the
feedback control signal without dedicated speed pickups.