Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] doordoc@prodigy.net is offline

Default Electrified Garage door

Sounds to me like the installer put a lag up through the ceiling to
back hang the door or the opener & right through the electrical wiring
(goes right between the wires in the romex that is stapled to the
rafters/trusses). Turn off the breaker for the garage & go up in the
attic & look if that's possible. (Yes I have seen installers do this
before & no it does not always trip the breaker.)

DoorDoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
www.ActionDoor.com

On Jul 13, 9:31*pm, wrote:
Help! Mygaragedoorhas become electrified. Touching thedooris just
like touching a live wire. I have no idea how this is even possible,
especially considering theopenerstill works. Thegaragedooropener
plugs into an outlet on the cieling of thegarage. I have tried
replacing the outlet but the problem persists. As soon as I turn the
breaker on and plug theopenerinto the outlet, the wholedoor
immediately becomes hot, just like a live wire.

I'm at a complete loss here and would appreciate anybody that can
suggest fixes or how this is even possible. Obviously I will call an
electrician if it comes to that, but I am a bit of a handy man and
would like to fix it myself if possible. I've just never encountered
anything as seemingly impossible as this.

Thanks.