Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Bike wheel for a bandsaw..

On Jul 14, 4:26*pm, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:08:31 -0700 (PDT), GROVER

wrote:
On Jul 14, 6:35*am, PCPaul wrote:
Hi,

I'm repairing a two wheel bandsaw and need a top wheel for it. OEM spares
are very expensive (£100+, ~$200) so I was wondering if a 12" bicycle
wheel could be used? It only needs to take the pressure of the blade and
spin round when required, after all.

I can easily rig up a surface for the blade to ride on.

It's a small bandsaw and I only really use 1/4" blades so I don't need
the mega-tension on it you'd need for a 3/4" resaw blade.

Any thoughts? experience?

A rule of thumb, here in the colonies, is when a repair costs half or
more of replacement cost, its time to purchase a new tool.
Joe G

*Unless said replacement tool is a Chineses "kit tool" that you are
going to have to take apart amd modify extensively to make it accurate
and reliable.

If I can fix a quality NorthAmerican or western european tool for less
than 90% of the cost of a peice of Chuinese crap, I'll fix it.

Exactly my sentiments.This is starting to sound like: "Oh nooo, I need
a wristband for my Rolex!! Can I use rope??"

Just kidding PCPaul.