Posted to rec.woodworking
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

Default Bike wheel for a bandsaw..

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:52:06 -0700, charlieb wrote:

mac pointed out that there's more to a bandsaw - that won't try and maim
or kill you - than two wheels and a bandsaw blade. I believe the phrase
Penny Wise, Pound Foolish came from your side of The Pond. Unless you
have plenty of spare time and are sure you can get Express Service at
the nearest emergency room, I suggest you pass on trying the Jerry Rig a
bike wheel.

Perhaps a ply or MDF wheel?

Ply or something is also on the cards. And I currently have feelers out
to get an alloy disc turned to the right size thanks to a friend at a
small engineering company but he has to wait for the right sized 'scrap'
to be available ;-)

The bike wheel idea is looking a bit dodgy though, not due to the
pressure but due to the hub/bearings, as has been mentioned.

It's a nice bandsaw - an Elu with an induction motor, decent fence etc..
the only new saws in my price range would be cheap chinese stuff.

Oh, and the Elu was free.