Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default Brass ACME nut repair

Fixed an HF XY table with similar woes by compressing the nut in a BFP
in small increments until the lead screw had no lash. Worked well.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus22312 wrote:

Now that I have my lathe "working", I started looking at its condition
a little more closely. On my lathe, the cross slide is moved by a
3/4-5 ACME screw, that moves a brass nut attached to the cross slide.

There is a lot of wear in this, as in, maybe 1/16 to 1/8" of slop.

I was thinking about fixing this.

Three things come to mind.

1) Buy a McMaster ACME brass nut 95270A123 and attach it to a custom
made part to fit under the cross slide.

2) Do something clever like wax the screw and inject epoxy into the
nut to take up the slop.

3) Make a replacement part on the mill and lathe.

Has anyone dealt with this issue. Clausing wants $750 (not a typo) to
custom make this part for me.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"