Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22312 Ignoramus22312 is offline

Default Brass ACME nut repair

On 2008-07-14, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:36:05 -0500, Ignoramus22312
wrote:

Three things come to mind.

1) Buy a McMaster ACME brass nut 95270A123 and attach it to a custom
made part to fit under the cross slide.

2) Do something clever like wax the screw and inject epoxy into the
nut to take up the slop.

3) Make a replacement part on the mill and lathe.

==========
All three appear to be viable alternatives, however be reminded
that the screw may have worn in addition to the nut. If this is
the case, although the total "slop" may be less, you can have a
condition where the fit is tight at the ends and loose in the
middle.

I would try the "easy" fix (#2) first if the screw wear is not
excessive, making sure that the epoxy sets up where the screw is
"big" to avoid binding.
Two brand names are Moglice and Turcite [Both manufacturers are
very proud of their products and charge accordingly....] There
may be cheaper generic or "knock off" products available. Any of
our readers have some suggestions?
http://www.moglice.com/
http://moglice.de/
http://www.mtsandtg.com/specialty/turcite
http://www.paragonprecisionllc.com/?...FQEpIgod8id0TQ
http://www.moglice-turcite.com/

It may be possible to disassemble and send the screw/nut to one
of the machine rebuilders and have the moglice cast in place.

An old time way to "fix" this was to open up the nut [ream the
hole bigger, smoke the screw [to prevent adhesion], and pour
babbitt. Lindsay Books has several good babbitt books if "old
world craftsmanship" appeals. Books indicate this was a common
half-nut repair at one time.
http://lindsaybks.com/
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/babbitt/index.html
{scroll to bottom of page for 2 additional books}

For some ideas [be setting down when you check prices] see
http://www.techno-isel.com/Tic/acme_lead_screws.htm
http://www.abssac.co.uk/Products/Spe...crew_nuts.html

Good luck and let the group know how you make out, any problems,
etc.

I have ordered a nut from McMaster and will have it tomorrow. I will
report my progress. The nut is big enough (3/4-5 ACME thread inside a
1 1/4" square) that I can attach another brass piece to it that would
be attached to the cross slide.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils: