Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22312 Ignoramus22312 is offline

Default Brass ACME nut repair

On 2008-07-14, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:36:05 -0500, Ignoramus22312
wrote:

Has anyone dealt with this issue. Clausing wants $750 (not a typo) to
custom make this part for me.

4) Split the nut and make it adjustable. I've done this on two
machines, a lathe and a surface grinder.

It is in such a bad shape, that doing so would not help.

On the lathe, the nut was rectangular and there was enough material
around the thread to install two guide pins and two adjusting
screws. Drill and ream for the guides before cutting the nut in
two.

The grinder's nut was cylindrical with a thin wall. I cut it in half
and turned a fine male thread on each piece. A coupler with matching
threads and the same OD as the nut allows for lash adjustment.

None of these options will account for the inevitable unequal wear in
the lead screw.

The lead screw is just $22 at McMaster-Carr, I will just buy it if I
find a lot of wear on the existing one, but I expect (and saw) most of
the wear on the brass nut. So I will start with the nut first.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/