Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22312 Ignoramus22312 is offline

Default Brass ACME nut repair

On 2008-07-14, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
First off, make sure everything is tight. 1/8 in is a boatload of slop for a
5 tpi nut. It mean your threads are only .075 thick at the base.

Yes. They are very thin. The whole brass nut looks like totally worn
****. (but the steel screw looks good, superficially).

It is a good chance that some of the slop is coming from the nut
being loosely mounted or the handle on the screw not being mounted
tight enough.

I wish.

If the lash drops down to something reasonable, learn to work around it and
buy a new nut when one falls in your lap.

If it is still that large, take a good look at the screw as well.

McMaster carr sells a left hand bronze cylinder nut in 3/4-5
#95090A412 for 38 bucks. You could probably machine something up to
fit.

I rather like item 95270A523, I think that it will be easier to
adapt. (and cheaper too)

Paul K. Dickman

"Ignoramus22312" wrote in message
Now that I have my lathe "working", I started looking at its condition
a little more closely. On my lathe, the cross slide is moved by a
3/4-5 ACME screw, that moves a brass nut attached to the cross slide.

There is a lot of wear in this, as in, maybe 1/16 to 1/8" of slop.

I was thinking about fixing this.

Three things come to mind.

1) Buy a McMaster ACME brass nut 95270A123 and attach it to a custom
made part to fit under the cross slide.

2) Do something clever like wax the screw and inject epoxy into the
nut to take up the slop.

3) Make a replacement part on the mill and lathe.

Has anyone dealt with this issue. Clausing wants $750 (not a typo) to
custom make this part for me.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/