Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Brass ACME nut repair

First off, make sure everything is tight. 1/8 in is a boatload of slop for a
5 tpi nut. It mean your threads are only .075 thick at the base.
It is a good chance that some of the slop is coming from the nut being
loosely mounted or the handle on the screw not being mounted tight enough.

If the lash drops down to something reasonable, learn to work around it and
buy a new nut when one falls in your lap.

If it is still that large, take a good look at the screw as well.

McMaster carr sells a left hand bronze cylinder nut in 3/4-5 #95090A412 for
38 bucks. You could probably machine something up to fit.

Paul K. Dickman

"Ignoramus22312" wrote in message
Now that I have my lathe "working", I started looking at its condition
a little more closely. On my lathe, the cross slide is moved by a
3/4-5 ACME screw, that moves a brass nut attached to the cross slide.

There is a lot of wear in this, as in, maybe 1/16 to 1/8" of slop.

I was thinking about fixing this.

Three things come to mind.

1) Buy a McMaster ACME brass nut 95270A123 and attach it to a custom
made part to fit under the cross slide.

2) Do something clever like wax the screw and inject epoxy into the
nut to take up the slop.

3) Make a replacement part on the mill and lathe.

Has anyone dealt with this issue. Clausing wants $750 (not a typo) to
custom make this part for me.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention