Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Electrified Garage door

On Jul 14, 6:50*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jul 13, 10:08 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

wrote in message
Help! My garage door has become electrified. Touching the door is just
like touching a live wire. I have no idea how this is even possible,
especially considering the opener still works. The garage door opener
plugs into an outlet on the cieling of the garage. I have tried
replacing the outlet but the problem persists. As soon as I turn the
breaker on and plug the opener into the outlet, the whole door
immediately becomes hot, just like a live wire.

I'm at a complete loss here and would appreciate anybody that can
suggest fixes or how this is even possible. Obviously I will call an
electrician if it comes to that, but I am a bit of a handy man and
would like to fix it myself if possible. I've just never encountered
anything as seemingly impossible as this.

Thanks.

Is the outlet ground wire really grounded and does the opener have a 3
wire plug ?

I would suspect the opener has a short to the case and the AC ground has
opened somewhere or maybe not even connected.

It is probably not a job for an electrician, but just change out the
opener. The opener could probably be fixed but it would probably cost
more than you could replace it for.
If you open the case of the door opener you may find a capacitor or
surge
supressor from the AC wire to the case of the opener has shorted out.

Ralph has some good suggestions. If the problem goes away when the opener
is unplugged I think you have it narrowed down. Check to see if the garage
door opener electrical receptacle is really grounded. You may need to open
the receptacle and all others on that circuit to check the wiring.

It is possible if the electrical receptacle is not grounded and the garage
door develops an internal short to the metal housing. This could happen as
the cord enters the housing or due to a failure of an internal component.