Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Bike wheel for a bandsaw..

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:35:51 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

Hi,

I'm repairing a two wheel bandsaw and need a top wheel for it. OEM spares
are very expensive (£100+, ~$200) so I was wondering if a 12" bicycle
wheel could be used? It only needs to take the pressure of the blade and
spin round when required, after all.

I can easily rig up a surface for the blade to ride on.

It's a small bandsaw and I only really use 1/4" blades so I don't need
the mega-tension on it you'd need for a 3/4" resaw blade.

Any thoughts? experience?

No experience, but sort of a thought...
BE FRIGGIN' CAREFUL!!

Yes, it might work...
You might also use a strip of rags for a belt and weld old hack saw blades
together for the blade..
Will it be safe? Will you be able to adjust blade tension and tracking
correctly?

Will the bike wheel fit inside the case and offer some protection, or does it
not have a cover?
I have no idea what the pound/USD conversion rate is, but I'm guessing that 100
to 200 is a lot of cash?
In the US, you can buy a new 14" bandsaw for a bit over $300...
How does that convert to pounds?

In some cases with tools, a new one can cost less than a few parts..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing