Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default OT - Iron vs Brass Monkey

On Jul 13, 9:34 pm, Nahmie wrote:
On Jul 13, 7:49 pm, "Jay R" wrote:

As I recall, regardless of the metrial, it does not cease to exist during
corrrsion. When iron is reduced fo instance, it creates iron oride.

Because the nut and bolt corrode at an equal rate, the iron oxide melds and
causes the freezing of the two parts.

Too many years in the Navy I guess.

Soak in WD 40 or Naval Jelly for about a year and good luck.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in messagenews:AsadnZGSIrZB6ufVnZ2dnUVZ_rLinZ2d@super news.com...

Leon wrote:

... snip

AND how can the degradation of a material cause it to stick to the same
material?

Ever tried to remove a rusted nut from a rusted bolt?

--
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough- Hide quoted text -

The whole thing is moot. See:http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/brass.asp

Nahmie

Too, from my reading many years ago, I seem to recall the on-deck
(ready-to-shoot) cannonballs were stored in a rope circle, of
appropriate size for the ball size. Maybe I should have watched
"Master and Commander" more closely, but I recall that from reading
all of the Hornblower and Bolitho novels years ago.