Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Bike wheel for a bandsaw..

"PCPaul" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm repairing a two wheel bandsaw and need a top wheel for it. OEM spares
are very expensive (£100+, ~$200) so I was wondering if a 12" bicycle
wheel could be used? It only needs to take the pressure of the blade and
spin round when required, after all.

I can easily rig up a surface for the blade to ride on.

It's a small bandsaw and I only really use 1/4" blades so I don't need
the mega-tension on it you'd need for a 3/4" resaw blade.

Any thoughts? experience?

I'm betting that if the bicycle wheel was substantial enough that you would
see more similar type wheels being used. Because of the constant side load
tension I'm betting that spoke tension will be a nightmare and ever
changing. I seriously doubt that the bearings are up to the task either.