Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Needed: Bandsaw Table Trunnions

On Jul 13, 9:29*pm, James Waldby wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:28:06 -0700,Searcher7wrote:
On Jul 13, 12:42*pm, Mechanical Magic ... wrote:
On Jul 13, 9:19 am,Searcher7... wrote:

... I asked if anyone knew where I could get trunnions made for a
bandsaw table...

See comment below re table.

http://www.emachineshop.com/
Gives you the CAD software, and will return parts, at (what I have
heard) is a reasonable price.

I don't see the lower blade guide in your pictures, do you need that
too?

Oh, oh. In all the previous posts in multiple threads on this no one
mentioned anything about a lower blade guide. I checked "Bandsaw
Handbook" and it also doesn't mention this. But I found one pic of what
looks like what you are referring to *below* the table.

The bottom line is that if this is another part I have to try to find,
that would complicate things and this tool is that much closer to the
garbage.

On my cheap HF wood-cutting bandsaw, the upper and lower blade
guides each have two movable hard-rubber blocks that straddle the
blade, and a roller bearing (about the same size as a rollerblade
bearing) at the back of the blade, perpendicular to the blade such
that a side surface of the outer ring of the bearing prevents the
blade from moving back, as shown in picture athttp://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyId=904or diagram near
middle ofhttp://www.woodworkinghistory.com/bandsaw_syllabus.htm

This is different from the blade guides on my cheap HF metal-cutting band-
saw, which has 3 bearings per guide, one on each side of and perpendicular
to the blade, and one parallel to blade and behind it so that the back of
the blade presses against its outer surface, as in picture athttp://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=2028&cs=20342&pcs=fam

If you buy a $10 package of 8 or 16 rollerblade bearings and mounting
spacers etc. you probably can fix up some workable guides.

Re trunnions and table: *I occasionally tilt the table on my
wood-cutting bandsaw, but more than 95% of the time I use it
with the table flat. *If you can't find pre-made trunnions for
your bandsaw, it probably isn't worthwhile to make them; instead,
just bolt on a fixed-position table (eg, made from a Formica-
covered sink cutout, or a few square feet of thick aluminum).
Then spend some time fixing up good rip and cross-cut guides,
which will be far more important than getting the table to tilt.

-jiw

Thanks.

Ok, I'll have to re-read your post a few times so I can get everthing
right.

But I took more pics of the bandsaw after opening it up, and it looks
as though I'm definitely going to have to replace what I believe are
cast aluminum parts. I dropped the blade guide and you can see what
happended in the pic.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.