Ramsey

Default Variable Speed Drill Press

Why do most people seem either to not know of or not posess a
cross-vise or indexing vise? I love mine. It takes away all the little
tapping and cussing normally associated with aligning something.
Grizzlty has one for around $60 and while it is not a work of art, it
surely takes a lot of hassle out of drilling.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:09:28 GMT, Bay Area Dave
wrote:

yeah, I definitely spend more time getting the piece aligned to the bit
with various fences, clamps, etc. Moving the belts once in a while is
just not an issue.

dave

Silvan wrote:
Bay Area Dave wrote:

I might change speeds on my DP about every 6 bit changes, so it isn't a
big deal. for the price difference, I can make a lot of belt changes.
and good grief, it only takes a couple of moments. certainly less than
a minute.

I timed myself, FWIW. 12-speed DP with three pulleys and two belts. From
the time I opened the cover, loosened it up, looked at the chart and
thought for a moment about what speed to go for, set it up and closed the
cover, it was 25 seconds.

Takes longer to change jigs/vices/fences. I spend a lot of time changing
setups. I'm thinking about experimenting with jigs that are permanently
affixed to their own little flange doodads so I can just swap out
pre-mounted jigs and save effort.