Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Bogiatzidis Peter Bogiatzidis is offline

Default decent tip to make rolling cabinets stationary

Hello,

FWIW, I just happened to see the "Work Table and Clamp Cart" episode of The
New Yankee Workshop recently, where Norm built a rolling work table that
could be made stationary by pulling up on a cord that was attached to two
hinged wooden blocks that locked a board (one on each end of the table) with
two wheels attached to it in place.

As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Hope this helps.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0207

Peter.

"Old Guy" wrote in message
When I put my bench on 6 3" castors, I was concerned about having to
chase it around the shop when I did planing, etc.

I planned to make 2-4 wedges that I could kick under the edge of the
bench, for stability. They'd were gonna have a handle or something on
them so I could jerk them out when I wanted to move the bench.

When I got done, the darn thing was so heavy that I have to heave with
all my weight just to budge it. Haven't needed the wedges.

I still think they were a good, simple idea, and will try them on the
next piece of rolling stock I make.

Old Guy

On Jul 13, 11:31 am, mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:58:15 -0400, RLM wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 05:08:09 -0700, Limp Arbor wrote:

view he

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2008/07/10/ws/

The easiest thing to use that I have found to keep any thing that rolls
in
one place temporarily is a short length of chain that I whip around the
base of any caster wheel, from one on a cabinet to the caster on a
utility
trailer. The chain can be sized from small ball type chain that is used
as
a pull cord for a ceiling fan for small casters on cabinets to 5/16 link
chain for the utility trailer. Match the size chain to the size of the
caster.

Murphy's law would indicate that I should wrap castors with electrical
cords..
Seems like every time I try to roll something, that's what stops it.. ;-[

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing