Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Nubie question.. routing pine.

DH82C wrote:

Looks like this
_ _____________________
A |_______ _
- - B - |
|___________

I have to do the cut in mulitple passes. I can only take off about 1/8
of an inch at a time.

With a sharp bit, you should be able to cut at least the diameter of the
bit deep with each pass, and you should be able to feed at least 1-1/4"
per second.

When I am cutting I am noticing that in addition to sawdust there are
curls of wood (as if I was using a plane)

This sounds like you're cutting with non-overlapped passes. Try
overlapping adjacent cuts by 50%.

I can only cut about an inch every 4-5 seconds.
When I cut across the grain there is a considerable amount of buring.

Burning is the result of cutting with a dull bit or feeding too slowly.
It is the wood chips that carry heat away from the bit - not the air as
might seem reasonable - and if you feed too slowly the heat will build
up in the bit until it's hot enough to burn the wood (and soften the
cutting edges).

Is this normal? I am assuming I am doing something wrong.. just dont
know what.

It's not abnormal, but neither is it desirable. I'd be inclined to
retire that bit and find a really sharp carbide bit - they cost more but
last enough longer to be worth the expense. (FWIW, I use carbide end mills).

Burning when crosscutting? Curling when cutting? Cutting 1/8 deep by
1/2 inch at a time?

Try turning that around - cut 1/2" deep by 1/8" at a time and keep that
bit moving.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar