Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Tiny thermostat for exhaust fan

On Jul 13, 1:13 pm, willshak wrote:
on 7/13/2008 12:58 PM Puddin' Man said the following:

Detached 2-car frame garage with only 2 tiny gable vents. Way too
hot in summer. I installed a 12" exhaust fan in a window frame
many years ago.

The thermostat is a series of metal blades (bi-metal) and a
pair of contact points like in old cars, mot'cycles. It wouldn't
shut off last summer, I filed the points down like I'd done
years ago with cycles. Worked for last season.

This season I file 'em down, add some dielectric grease, it works
for a few hours, then fails to shut off.

Markings on the tstat:
BIMET
70F A76
FP 21
6-22 HOOD

Any chance of picking up a replacement tstat?

Any tips, suggestions, ways to "fix" the old tstat?

TIA,
Puddin'

" ... and the bees made honey in the lion's head."
- from "If I Had My Way", Blind Willie Johnson

Home Depot sells thermostats for their Master Flow gable vents. It may
work on yours. If not, bring it back.http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?sto...
or:http://tinyurl.com/5luvah

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Thanks for reminding me, I need to pick one of those up for my
garage. either the fan or the thermostat is bad, and I'll need it for
the house eventually anyway (want to add a vent fan for the house)

nate