Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Air Conditioner Transformer Question

wrote:
Ok I believe that a transformer changes voltage from x to y, either
raising or lowering the voltage as required for the application. For
example, the a/c charger for my phone lowers the voltage, and an
inverter (like to power my laptop in my car) would raise it. If I am
wrong please set me straight.

Now to the big questions . . .
Is there a transformer located in the condenser (outside part) of a
central air conditioning system.
Is there a condenser unit manufactured in the last 15 year that
requires replacement of the condenser if the transformer fails, as
opposed to just replacing the transformer itself.

I am asking because my friend was told her condenser needed
replacement because the transformer was bad. Yes she did have it
replaced. I am asking because this sounds "suspicious" to me. I
imagine that it should be relatively easy to procure a replacement
transformer and install it, instead of replacing the whole condenser.
She has gone to sleep so I do not have specific brand or type info
except that it is what most people would call "central air" in a home
about 15 years old.

I am by no means an expert so hopefully more knowledgeable people can
help.

I think the tech turned his meaning around. What he thought was: "I want to
replace the condensing unit, so let's claim "X" is bad."

The outside condensing unit is made up of several components: Compressor,
coil, tubing, dryer, electronics, wiring, fuses, etc. None of these
components is a "transformer."

The only possibility that comes to mind is the "transformer" on the utility
pole. If the light company's equipment went really bad, it is conceivable
that fatal damage could be done to the outside condensing unit. If that was
the case, the utility company would cheerfully pay for any damage.