Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default What is wrong here ?

In message ,
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt writes
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 05:08:20 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 02:38:04 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:43:01 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:42:05 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:28:39 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 18:32:34 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 03:28:23 -0500, flipper wrote:

Cos by then, it has already burned out.

So you might as well set fire to everything back to the mains breaker,
eh?

Can you really be so stupid as to think that would or could ever happen?

Take the hot from ANY US AC feed. Ground it... ANYWHERE. To the fault
return, to the neutral, or to a hard concrete slab, it is STILL going to
pop the panel breaker!

Fire? The breaker would blow within milliseconds.

Just because one plugs a variac in, doesn't mean that the device
suddenly negates all the protections that are inherent in a US AC power
distribution system.

I took a literary license in saying "back to the mains breaker." A
shorted winding would be a potential hazard in the variac and it's
wiring to the mains.

No, it would not.

Yes, it would.

The wiring in the wall has a breaker that is rated
to protect it, whether from instantaneous short or long term excessive
current heating, and keep said wiring below any flash point temperatures.

"In the variac and it's wiring to the mains" is not "in the wall."

You are right that the main breaker is designed to protect the
building wiring but that is a 2kVA, or higher, circuit, not 500VA.

No, one does NOT plug a ten amp variac into a 2kVA source. One only
needs to use a standard 15 Amp circuit branch.

A 500VA Variac is not "a ten amp variac."

Other countries don't use individually breakered star connections and
the mains ring kVA is even higher.

ALL installed lines are still protected from instantaneous shorts
causing wire heating or flash point temperatures from being generated.
That is the whole purpose of the breaker in the panel. You could not
show me a situation where you take three conductors from a wall outlet
and configure them to cause a wiring flare-up in the wall. Sorry.

English must be your second language. I didn't say "in the wall." I
said "potential hazard in the variac and it's wiring to the mains."

Where I live "the mains" ARE the ****ing breakers, dip****, and "the
outlet" is what one plugs into at the wall. NOBODY where I live calls
the goddamned wall outlet "the mains". So **** off with that stupid
****, boy.

"Mains" is the term for AC power 'in the wall' (so you can grasp the
meaning), as in the AC mains.

Essentially, because of YOUR poor grasp of the language of the
industry, nobody knows what the **** you are spewing about.

It's your ignorance that's the problem and if you didn't understand it
you could have asked instead of being a jackass. So
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Look, dumb****, I DO understand it. NOBODY refers to their wall outlet
as "The AC Mains".

The AC Mains is a reference to the MAINS entry point, ie the breaker
panel.

"Power outlet" or "Wall outlet" or "AC Receptacle" is the reference for
the place where we attach our AC powered devices. So I still contend
that it is you that caused the "confusion".

You're the goddamned jackass

Be aware that, in the UK, the thing on the wall (where you plug your AC
powered devices) is usually referred to as a 'mains socket' and, on
occasions, a 'wall socket'.
--
Ian