Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Default PROBLEM: CD Player Digital Output

"EADGBE" wrote...
I have received a couple of comments here that my cable choice could
be the problem.

Is it actually possible that a cheaper cable could solve the problem?

NO they are joking. Since the same cable carries both the left and
right channels it is impossible that a passive device such as a cable
could reliably distingusih between the left channel data and the right
channel data in the stream.

And here is a question that will really show my level of ignorance
when it comes to digital audio formats: Is it possible that I am using
the wrong kind of digital cable?

NO. It either works or it doesn't. It is as simple as that. People
might argue that if you use really poor cable it might introduce such
digital artifacts as "jitter". But there is no amount of arm-waving
that can explain how it could affect only one channel of the
interleaved data.

The digital output of the CD player
and the digital input on the preamp are both RCA type jacks. I simply
thought that using a digital coaxial cable with RCA plugs on both ends
would be appropriate. Am I wrong? Is there another type of cable I
should use that will fit?

It is NOT the cable. Ignore the frivolity and go back to doing a proper
differential diagnosis with the source and destination equipment.