Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Thread cutting on a reversible lathe

On 2008-07-11, Jim Wilkins wrote:

* * * * It avoid the stack of chips, you can try doing it the way old
machinists used to do it. *This calls for threading mounted between
centers so you can remove it and replace it to continue. *Make a scratch
cut only, remove the workpiece and take it to the drill press or mill
and drill a hole right where you want the thread to stop and just deep
enough to receive the cutter, then you can hand feed it to the hole and
the chips break off cleanly. *I've never yet done this, but I probably
will try it sometime.

* * * * Enjoy,

I did that once or twice by drilling at the end of the thread scratch
with a hand drill, since the stock was in a collet.

The point was that my belt-driven lathe doesn't seem to break bits
when stopped during a cut. Could it happen only on geared lathes?