Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Fridge and GFCI trips

On 2008-07-10, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The refrigerator and freezer should not be on a GFIC. *They can trip and the
food will spoil. *This is one thing the nation electric code puts the food
first and safety second.

This is not quite true. *In a residence a refrigerator need not be on
a GFCI receptacle. *In a commerical kitchen, _all_ receptacles are
required to be GFCI. *If a refrigerator trips a GFCI, it is defective.
Period. *Now the defect, which is at least 6 ma of leakage current
between the hot and the ground, may not cause any other apparent
problems. *But it is a defect none the less--an appliance should not
leak that much current to ground.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne-

I still not convinced about a frig tripping a GFI's proves that the
frig is bad.

Recent experience.......

small fan with two wire cord & all plastic construction (including
housing & fan on/off, two speed switch) mounted to a wooden window
frame.

Trips GFI about 50% of the time when switched quickly from high speed
to low speed and sometimes when switching off.

Where is the leakage to ground? Seems like something else is
happening.

oh, I tired the fan on four different GFI's ...trips on two of them
but never on the "other" two !?

Are the GFI's "bad" (and which ones?) or is the fan a problem?

At this point I'm stumped & I just cycle the switch more slowly and
never trip the GFI.

cheers
Bob