Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Our phones won't ring!

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:52:44 GMT, wrote:

Someone called me on my cell and told me that they called my home
phone, and it just rang and rang.

And that makes it true?

Never assume your friends have accurately reported what happened.
Just today a friend told me something was wrong about his lights but
it wasn't wrong after all. And he's not stupid at all.

I would call myself... that it, you should call yourself on your cell,
and pick up one of your home phones while your cell is ringing, and
see if you can talk to yourself.

OOPS. THIS WILL TEACH ME TO READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE STARTING A
REPLY.

If you can do that, I don't think there is any chance it is the pnone
company's fault, or your wiring's fault. (If you can't do that, I'd
be surprised, given that you can call out.)

Most likely it is the bells on the phones. Maybe your maid turned
them off to take a nap. Take the ppones to a neighbor, and one at a
time, connect each one and call him with your cell. See if your
phones ring at his house. Probably won't. Borrow one of his phones
with a bell that rings and see if it rings at your house.

Are these real phones, that weigh almost two pounds and are made by
Western Electric? If so, each one has a bell that is 1.0 RE, Ringer
EQuivalent. And there is a limit of about 3.0 or 4.0 RE per phone
line. But they probably aren't. If they only take 0.4 RE you'd have
to have more than 7 of them to overload the ringing circuit.

But I was right here...it never rang, and the machine didn't pick up.

Weird thing is, I can call out. And I can call the home phone from my
cell, and I can answer the home phone and connect even though it isn't
ringing.

I have a Panasonic DECT phone with 3 handsets. I unplugged this, and
still, the wired phones in the garage and laundry room don't ring!

Any ideas?!?