Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Our phones won't ring!

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:01:39 -0400, Nate Nagel

Someone called me on my cell and told me that they called my home
phone, and it just rang and rang.

But I was right here...it never rang, and the machine didn't pick up.

Weird thing is, I can call out. And I can call the home phone from my
cell, and I can answer the home phone and connect even though it isn't
ringing.

I have a Panasonic DECT phone with 3 handsets. I unplugged this, and
still, the wired phones in the garage and laundry room don't ring!

Any ideas?!?

disconnect all of the phones. try them one at a time, see if you can
narrow the issue down to one phone. If NONE of them work, try plugging
directly into the NID. If that works, you have an issue with the wiring
inside the house. If that still doesn't work, call the phone co.

Or just do what I did, go all cellular.

Going cellular could be what I'd do, if there was decent cellular
signal here. It's usually weak (with frequent dropouts during calls).
I'm in town, but not that close to a business area.

Strangely, I can go out to the country, walk into the woods, and get a
good (4-5 bars) signal there.

Since Verizon seemed unable to
provide me with a line that worked reliably, I seemed unable to continue
to pay for their service.

nate

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell