Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Our phones won't ring!

On Jul 11, 8:52*pm, wrote:
Someone called me on my cell and told me that they called my home
phone, and it just rang and rang.

But I was right here...it never rang, and the machine didn't pick up.

Weird thing is, I can call out. *And I can call the home phone from my
cell, and I can answer the home phone and connect even though it isn't
ringing.

I have a Panasonic DECT phone with 3 handsets. *I unplugged this, and
still, the wired phones in the garage and laundry room don't ring!

Any ideas?!?

If they are indeed standard telephone industry wired phones they
should ring. However if they are the sort of phones that need
electricity to operate that may be the problem?
Also there are wiring options within some, especially old-fashioned
and reconditioned Bell system type phones that allow the 'ringer'
inside to be connected or not.
Did your phones previously ring OK.
Have you added or made any other changes such as adding say a FAX
machine or voice answering unit or attaching your phone line to a home
computer?
Or has the phone line been hooked up to say, satellite TV receiver in
order to automatically dial and order movies etc.
However another possible problem, on very long telephone lines,
especially using el-cheapo 3rd world phones such as those often bought
for $10 to $20 at 'Around a buck' stores etc. is too many phone low
grade ringers on the one line!
A particularly aggravating case was a fireman not receiving urgent
phone calls after his two sons hooked cheap phones they received
'free' (made in Mexico or somewhere!) free magazine subscriptions.
Not saying that's what is happening but just a few suggestions.
Please post some more analysis.
If you can make outgoing calls without any crackling or noise it is
unlikely, but not impossible, that the pair of wires to your house
from the telephone building or wire centre, is faulty. The phone
company can often do a test without dispatching a repair person to
determine if the trouble is 'inside' or 'outside' your premises.
Also in these days of competition between telephone providers if the
problem turns out to be wiring or other factors within your house,
e.g. damp wall outlet phone jacks, condensation in the garage, in this
current humid weather etc. or defective or unsuitable phones there may
be $ charges.