Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Troy Built Horse tiller older engine blow up. What to do.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:46:06 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Jul 11, 1:35=A0pm, "BillM" wrote:
"stryped" wrote in
=

.com...
I will do that. It did kind of make a "clanking"
sound. It also put
out some white smoke. After it died, I checked
the oil and it was bone
dry. (I know i am an idiot).

What brand of engine is it? =A0Most of the old
Troy-Bilt's used cast iron Kohler's.
One heck of a tough engine, but not tough enough
to run without oil!

It is a techumseh. So if it is a rod, would it be possible for me to
replace it and everythign be good to go?

Since this is a metalworking newsgroup maybe you should consider
repairing what you can and replacing what you can't. I had a similar
experience with an old Merry Tiller with a Clinton engine. Though I
thought I had checked the oil I obviously hadn't because when the rod
broke the engine was almost out of oil. Since Clinton engines are no
longer sold in the USA (maybe nowhere else either) I used google and
found a new old stock connecting rod to replace the old one that was
now in pieces. After cleaning the aluminum off of the crank throw it
became obvious that the crank would need to be reground or re-turned.
Using the 4 jaw and some aluminum tooling I turned the crank throw and
polished it. Now it was .030" undersize. So I bored out the connecting
..070 oversize and made new bronze bearing shells. Because bronze
doesn't loctite well to aluminum I used bronze pins as well as loctite
to hold the bearing shells in the connecting rod. The camshaft was
bent as well but it was easily straightened in the vise. The motor now
has at least 150 hours on it since being repaired and still runs well.
ERS