Ken Vaughn

Default Wood Plane Blades question

Depends on the model and type -- I think most of the smoothing planes made
by Sargent (correct spelling BTW) would take a Stanley iron OK. I don't own
any Sargent smoothers, but in addition to about a dozen Stanley Baileys, I
have two Fulton planes, a 4C and a 7C. These look very much like a type 10
Stanley Bailey plane. Fulton was a Sears house brand name, and I believe
they were made by Sargent. They originally came with a thicker plane iron
which was laminated steel on iron, about the same thickness of a Ron Hock
replacement iron. A Stanley plane iron would fit, but would be a little
more open at the mouth.

I have 4 Sargent block planes:
a 607 low angle block, adjustable mouth (equivalent to Stanley 65 1/2)
a 306 standard angle, adjustable mouth (equivalent to Stanley 9 1/2)
a 307 standard angle, adjustable mouth (equivalent to Stanley 9 1/2)
a 217 standard angle, fixed mouth (equivalent to Stanley 220)

Two of the above (306, 217) were sold by Sears and these used an iron with
wider grooves and less of them, and the wide grooves were cut completely
through the iron, not just on the back -- the depth adjustment screw had a
round nib to engage the wide grooves. The 607 and the 307 are Sargent brand
(not Sears by Sargent) and they used a standard block plane iron, 1 5/8"
wide, narrow slot, narrow grooves on the back only. A Stanley iron would
fit these.

True Sargent brand planes are probably a little better than Stanley -- they
have a thicker casting, and in the case of the block planes, a better
adjustment mechanism to open or close the mouth.

--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

"Teej" wrote in message
om...
Are stanley and craftsman,seargent woodplane blades interchangable?