Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar John Husvar is offline

Default Thread cutting on a reversible lathe

In article ,
Stealth Pilot wrote:

thats the way to do it.
reversing the motor is awfully slow. on mine if I flip the switch into
reverse it just keeps running in the same direction.
If I stop it, then flip the switch I get reverse.
the stopping takes a while.

Stealth Pilot

Now from someone nearly totally clueless about threading:

How does one cut a left-hand thread?

I've somehow got the idea that if you cut from right to left, you get a
right-hand thread.

If you cut from left to right with the machine turning the same
direction, do you get a left-hand thread?

The only experience I have with a lathe is turning to a diameter. My kid
knows more than I. He made nice signaling cannon during a summer work
experience program, tapered barrel and all, but has forgotten threading
procedures since it was 20 years ago.