Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Thread cutting on a reversible lathe

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:49:48 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

I do threading like a state machine. Each starred state is
uninterruptible and leaves the machine in a distinct condition, so i
know where I am after measuring or answering the phone. The cross
slide and compound dials are set to zero when the tip barely scratches
the work.

*At the end of the cut disengage the half nuts and back out the slide
exactly 0.100, ie to the next 0 at this point.

*Move the carriage back past the end of the work. Turn the slide in
one turn.

*Advance the compound a few thousandths. Engage the half nuts when the
proper line on the threading dial matches, or move the carriage to
meet it.

The last few fine cuts to adjust the fit are done straight in with the
slide, to smooth both thread flanks. Turning the dial exactly one turn
preserves its setting if I'm interrupted.

I added the threading dial line and the 29 degree infeed depth to the
quick-change gearbox chart.

Jim Wilkins

thats the way to do it.
reversing the motor is awfully slow. on mine if I flip the switch into
reverse it just keeps running in the same direction.
If I stop it, then flip the switch I get reverse.
the stopping takes a while.

Stealth Pilot