Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Soldering tips/advice

"Doobielicious" wrote in message
news:QMxdk.3331$1o6.1146@edtnps83...
Not hard at all, but I posted this at 10:35 last night. Stores were
closed.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article kHddk.3355$7%6.261@edtnps82, "Doobielicious"

wrote:
I just tried to solder a 1/2 inch copper coupling to a 1/2 inch piece
of
pipe. I put soldering paste inside the coupling, gave the 1/2 pipe a

good
going over with a file (i didn't have sandpaper)

How hard would it have been to go buy some?

and also put soldering
paste on the 1/2 inch pipe.

But, evidently, didn't clean it first, since you didn't have any

sandpaper.

I inserted the pipe inside the coupling, and
heated the couplign up with a torch. I tried to put solder on the end
of
the coupling and the pipe, but the solder didn't go around the coupling

form a seal. In fact the solder made a complete mess adn I ended up
with
clumps of solder in one spot.

Is this by any chance the first time you've ever tried to sweat-solder

copper
pipe? If so... spend a few bucks on some spare fittings, and practice on

few
joints first.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Improper cleaning of the pipe and fitting didn't help you at all, but it
sounds like the biggest problem is most likely that you:
a) didn't get the fitting hot enough before applying the solder, AND
b) tried to solder directly in the flame.

Take the joint apart. Clean everything properly this time (with a wire

brush
or sandpaper). Flux both parts, making sure that you're using the right

type
of flux for your solder. Then try again. Heat only the fitting, and apply

the
solder to the pipe, directly opposite from the flame.

The only thing not covered by other posters is that it is possible to get
the copper too hot as well as not hot enough. A little practice will teach
you the difference. If the solder melts when you apply it to the copper but
does not flow out and coat it evenly the copper is either not clean or is
too hot.

The requirements are cleanliness, flux and the proper temperature.

Don Young