Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default OT Maybe. Infrared Thermometer

I bought a Mastercool on eBay for a very reasonable price.
I am less worried about the distance to spot ratio (12:1) but I wanted a
bigger temperature range (-50 to 500 deg C).
One of the big issues with the cheaper versions is the fixed emissivity
which means that if you want to take temperature of bright shiny objects
(like metal surface) the reading will be inaccurate and you may have to
resort to various tricks to allow for this. The more expensive versions have
adjustable emissivity.

I have tried to compare my Mastercool readings with other thermometers but
it gets tricky: The infrared measures *surface temperature* and probes etc.
which you insert into e.g. hot liquid measure temperature under the surface
which maybe quite different.

So far I am happy with mine but the heavy work is still ahead!

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
I would like to have an Infrared Thermometer, Digital, Laser pointing.

I have looked at lots of them online and the pricing is real good to
real high. From $20 to $2000.

So my question is: What are you using and do you like it?

Thanks
Bob AZ