Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default Thread cutting on a reversible lathe

Good advice David, Iggy's probably has no nuts.

Bob Swinney
"David Harmon" wrote in message
m...
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:44:56 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking,
Ignoramus16954 wrote,
I am trying to recall some 20 year old high school memories. If I am
cutting a thread on a lathe, and the lathe is reversible, then I can
cut the thread one way, stop/reverse the lathe, return, set the cutter
deeper, and repeat, right?

I do not need to withdraw the cutter, move it back, find the proper
spot to restart, etc. Right or wrong?

Yes, you can do that. If your lathe has no half-nuts, like my Emco
Compact 5, you pretty much have to do it that way.