Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default funny smell in the bathroom

RepairNovice wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:59:17 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

Also, you might check closely around the base of your toilet to make
sure the seal hasn't allowed any 'seepage'. There could be a hidden
leak letting water etc to seep into your floor around the wax ring
(seal) of the toilet.

Hi Rudy.

I don't have any bathroom smell problem, but when you mentioned the
seepage above I thought of one of my bathrooms.

What you describe sounds like my situation.
Just where the toilet meets the floor there are two damp lines in the
tiling. They stay there pretty much most of the time.
And its been this way for years and years (more than 8 years).

Is it necessary to correct?
I wouldn't want to do it myself if it needs to be corrected.
How much would something like this cost to be fixed?

First determine the problem. It might be condensation running down the
outside, or a veerry slow leak in the water supply system. Tighten up all
the connections.

Put some blue food coloring in the bowl. Use a lot. If the water on the
floor is blue, the leak is down there. Put some red dye in the tank. Look
for red water. (Worry about whether the dye will make a permanent stain.)

My handyman rate is $40/hour. It would take me 1 to 8 hours to remove and
replace your toilet, depending on the condition. I can do a new toilet in
10 minutes, but I'm never asked to work on those, for some reason.

Wax ring: $2.00 (alternative no-wax insert: $5.00)
New bolts: $3.00

Possible issues:
* The bolts might be corroded to the point you have to saw them off.
* The top of the stack might be degraded to the point you have to grind
it down and put in an expansion replacement.
* If you're going to the trouble of replacing the wax ring, go ahead and
replace the tank bolts and gasket. Another 30 minutes and $8.00.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement