Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16954 Ignoramus16954 is offline

Default Thread cutting on a reversible lathe

On 2008-07-10, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
If you are talking about using the tumbler reverse in the gear train, the
answer is, "no". It disengages the gears and looses position.

If you are talking about reversing the motor, the answer is' "yes it is
possible"

I am talking about reversing the motor, if I only reversed the
carriage, it would try to cut the opposite thread (left handed).

You still have to back the cutter out of the cut, however. Reversing the
motor swings all the backlash in the system the other way and the tool will
drag over the threads.

I see. The backlash would screw up the thread. However, keeping the
carriage engaged at all times, would keep it along the thread when
running in the right-to-left direction.

Paul K. Dickman

"Ignoramus16954" wrote in message
I am trying to recall some 20 year old high school memories. If I am
cutting a thread on a lathe, and the lathe is reversible, then I can
cut the thread one way, stop/reverse the lathe, return, set the cutter
deeper, and repeat, right?

I do not need to withdraw the cutter, move it back, find the proper
spot to restart, etc. Right or wrong?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/