Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Trivia du jour - plasterboard

Andy Wade wrote:
Rod wrote:

Yes - you have.

I disagree. It *definitely* used to be the case that the grey side was
for skimming and the ivory side for painting or papering directly.

Why it's changed I have no idea.

I agree that is what I was told (a long time ago), but I have come to
suspect that I have always been wrong.

My earlier point about double-layer of paper is picked up in this Q&A
from BG's site:

Q: Can British Gypsum clarify their position regarding the skimming of
Gyproc plasterboard?

A: Skimming should be carried out on the front of the board (ie. the
face with no paper overlap). In the case of Gyproc Wallboard this is the
ivory face. This advice also applies to Fireline, SoundBloc and Duraline.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/support/questions_and_answers/qa007.aspx

But I was never trained and didn't research then - it was just what I
picked up from friends and acquaintances. So the argument/advice might
indeed have turned upside down over the years.

--
Rod

onset.