Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Trivia du jour - plasterboard

Bob Mannix wrote:
When I were young, I assumed that one plastered the dark side of
plasterboard and used the ivory side if you weren't skimming (note I said
"assumed", 'assumption is the mother of all cock-ups' etc...). As I matured
I came to the conclusion you could skim either side but used to skim the
dark side still.

I note now that manufacturers carefully stamp "plaster other side only" on
the dark side (ie you must use the ivory side).

Don't really want a huge flame of indignation (but it is uk.d-i-y, that's
kind of a given ) ). Two questions:

1. Have I been wrong all this time?
2. What is the *manufacturer's* reason for insisting you plaster the ivory
side?

Yes - you have. (But so was I.)

The plaster within is guaranteed to be hard up aginst the white paper.
(I think it must be on the bottom when they make it.) There can be air
bubbles, etc. just inside the dark side. (Cue Pink Floyd.) You also get
the turnover bits on that side - so absorbancy will vary across the
sheet and be least (I think) nearest the board edges. There might be a
difference in the actual paper/card layer which is significant - but I
don't know.

Saw a film about plasterboard making - maybe one utube or somewhere?

--
Rod

onset.