Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Soldering tips/advice

Doobielicious wrote:
I just tried to solder a 1/2 inch copper coupling to a 1/2 inch piece of
pipe. I put soldering paste inside the coupling, gave the 1/2 pipe a good
going over with a file (i didn't have sandpaper) and also put soldering
paste on the 1/2 inch pipe. I inserted the pipe inside the coupling, and
heated the couplign up with a torch. I tried to put solder on the end of
the coupling and the pipe, but the solder didn't go around the coupling to
form a seal. In fact the solder made a complete mess adn I ended up with
clumps of solder in one spot.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

One thing to add to what the others have said.
Your pipe must be bone dry inside. If not the water caries the heat away
too fast to let the solder melt properly.
Kevin