Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing question

On Jul 9, 9:03*pm, RepairNovice wrote:
I'm doing some work on my sump pump pipes.
First time in almost ten years.

I have a couple of questions concerning an air vent.

One reason why I'm doing this work is to stop the pipework from
banging when the sump pump stops and the water starts to flow back
down the pipes.

I may have acted too fast in doing some of the work but just want to
check here to see if might still be OK.

The check valve is located about two or three feet above the pump.
The pipe leaves the house at a height of about seven feet or so above
the check valve.

Is it OK to have the air vent about five feet above the check valve?

Is there an optimal height for the air vent to be located in relation
to the check valve?

TIA

My system here in Illinois, USA does not have an air vent, neither did
eitherof my systems when I lived back in New Jersey. How is the vent
connected?

Bob Hofmann