Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Painting Doors

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Jul 9, 7:28*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

You weren't clear on your earlier post. *I thought you were saying
not to use glue when you stick in the sliver of wood, which is
something I usually do. *You're right that standard woodworking glue
alone won't be effective over the long term, but there's nothing
wrong with using glue and wood slivers. *I just wanted to clarify
that.

I agree. *I've put a lot of slivers in there, watching them go to
where

ver
lost socks go. *Only thing I can think of is drying time. *But if you

want
to wait, and that's what works for you, results are what we want.

There is no drying time. I like to use toothpicks, the square ones
that transition into smooth tapered cones at either end. I smear a
little glue on one toothpick's end and stick it into the hole, break
it off flush, put glue on the broken end and stick that into the hole,
then just screw on the hinge. Essentially I'm reversing the ends so
not all of the tapers are pointing in the same direction. The glue
will dry on its own schedule while I'm off working on mine.

break it off flush,

Variation: I'll often snip them off a little long with pointed wire
cutters then hammer them till their flush to maximize the actual wood in
the hole. When the glue and wood are dry, shave it off flush if
necessary..