Posted to alt.home.repair

Default funny smell in the bathroom

"adam russell" wrote in message
No, not that kind of smell.
I bought this house about 6 months ago and sometimes in the master
bathroom toilet there is a funny smell. Its kind of like paint drying,
but somewhat more like chemical smell. Its not always there but I do
smell it several times a week, and it is fairly strong. Strong enough
that if I try to sniff it out to try and find out where its coming from
then it makes me a little nauseous. Its been there on and off the entire
6 months Ive been here. I have no idea what to do about it or who to
call. It doesnt really smell like electrical burn, but thats the most
dangerous possibility I think. Should I call an electrician to be sure?

In additions to what others suggested, look for mold growing someplace. It
could be the back of the toilet, under a heater, inside some cranny. Wipe
things down with a bleach solution. Especially the walls around the toilet
where urine may have splashed over the years.