Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default funny smell in the bathroom

"adam russell" wrote

I bought this house about 6 months ago and sometimes in the master
bathroom toilet there is a funny smell. Its kind of like paint drying,
but somewhat more like chemical smell. Its not always there but I do
smell it several times a week, and it is fairly strong. Strong enough
that if I try to sniff

Adam, probably a bad toilet seal. This is a little cumbersome but easy
normally to fix yourself. The only time when it's 'a bit hard' is when you
have copper pipes.

Detach the feeds and unbolt the toilet. Lift and replace the wax seal. Put
it back together.

If the bolts are corroded (not uncommon with a bad seal if it's been going
on a long time) it can be hard to get the toilet base off without breaking
it. Best thing is to measure really well at the base and check a local
hardware store for a replacement unit that will be the same size or slightly
larger at the base. Don't buy it, just be prepared if you have to.

*IF* that happens, here's how to handle it. To measure the base out really
accurately (so you wont have a problem with gaps in the
linoleum/tile/whatever floor) the 'easy way' use wax paper. Take 2 pieces
and some masking tape. Lay them on the floor along the sides (front to
back) then scrunch them in til the bottom and top edges meet. You may want
to trim some of the center out first but less than the size of the base.
Tape the front and back well so it doesnt come apart. Next, using a sharp
razor knife, trim the wax paper to as close to the base as you can. Tape
any little tears. Now it's surrounded and just the right size. Cutting
open on one side, lift it away. Use to measure a new toilet so you get the
right base size and shape. No messing with 'the new one left uncovered
edges and now we need to redo the floor'.
(Wax paper is easier to work with and wont split like regular paper will).

The gasses you describe which 'make you nauseous' are literally quite
dangerous in concentration.