Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:00:02 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm,
(Edward A. Falk) quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

If you use acetone ($12/gal locally) it'll be dry before your rag gets
3 feet from where it cleaned. The whole trailer shouldn't take more
than 15 minutes to wipe down, so your neighbors won't be chemically
abused for long.

Isn't acetone horribly toxic? My neighbor (he builds cars) suggested I
use lacquer thinner. Or do I have an unreasonable fear of the stuff?

Hell, it's all toxic. I adore lacquer thinner and use it by the gallon
on my woodwork before finishing. It's just as good on metal. Use
either and stay upwind, wear a respirator with organic vapor filters,
or both. I keep one of these in my truck (with extra dust filters) and
one in the shop.
http://tinyurl.com/6qgazm

Also, don't forget to wear thick nitrile or rubber gloves and goggles
during the wipe. Both eyes, both lungs, and all your fingers are a
blessing in later life.

LJ--happy with 2/2/10. (OK, 2/2/8/2 for you anal types out there.)

VIRTUE...is its own punishment