BillR

Default Car heating

Bob Minchin wrote:
PoP wrote:

I wondered what the other experts here think about the following
idea.....

During the winter months my garage does get a bit on the cold side
when the temperature plummets. It isn't attached to the house and has
no heating.

No big deal when I'm not working in there, and when I am I can always
use a fan heater to warm up the corner I'm working in. But what I'd
like to do is arrange things so that the car engine (Freelander -
plenty of room underneath!) isn't stone cold when I go out in the
morning - it can take a while to reach operating temperature and on
short journeys I'd reach the destination before the heater is
working.

What I was thinking about was to put a couple of tubular heaters
under
the engine bay, on a timer that comes on at about 3am. These things
are insulated against moisture and so on, and at 120W each they don't
get particularly warm:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

What I'm thinking is that the little warmth they do generate would
rise into the engine compartment, taking the chill off the engine so
that once I start up and move off it doesn't take so long for normal
temperature to be acquired.

Does this sound like a plausible idea, or has Dr Strangelove got hold
of my noggin?

PoP

There is an aftermarket device that you fit to the car that keeps the
coolant water warm. I expect it is a atandard fit in countries where
the winter temps get really cold. Your dealer should know about it. A
mate of mine had one on a Disco some years back.

Bob

Oil sump heaters are common in Scandinavian countries. They appear to screw
in instead of the drain plug.
I have even seen points to plug them into at some parking places in Finland.

Reminds me of many years ago at a very posh hotel in the New Forest, Chewton
Glen, I got talking to a wealthy long term resident. He had garages on the
site which were centrally heated to keep his car collection warm .... They
were better housed than the staff.