Posted to alt.home.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default "chain" surge suppressers?

On Jul 9, 6:14*am, wrote:
* *Not all surge protectors are created equal. *One really good one is
worth more than a dozen cheap ones. *Just get one really good one and
be happy. *Generally the ones built into most UPS units are better
than most. *If you are in an area where it is a big problem, then I
would suggest unplugging the devices. *I would also suggest that you
might want lightening rods for your home. *We don't see many of them
these days, but nothing has changed about lightening, they are still a
good idea in lightning prone areas.

What defines the good one verses bad one? Price? Hardly. How to
identify an ineffective protection. 1) it has no dedicated earthing
wire (no wire means no lightning protection). 2) Manufacturer avoids
all discussion about earthing. No earth ground means no effective
protection. This is why the resonsible manufacturers (GE, Square D,
etc) sell the 'whole house' protector. Monster Cable does not.