Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Architectural detail

dpb wrote:
Charles Bishop wrote:
It's a horizontal element on the facade, running across the front of the
building, about two feet below the top of the facade. It's two separate
wood pieces that form a triangle in cross section and protrude from the
exterior abut 3", ...
"stringcourse" is the closest I can come to it, but this is only for
brick, yes?

Oh, man..._far_ too long since my comparative architecture class days...
(or, , depending I guess...)

But, I don't think there's a differing name for the feature even though
it isn't seen nearly as often other than in stone or brick work.

"belt course" is a synonym iirc...

I don't have an architectural dictionary handy and don't know a link
(and was too lazy to google )...

hth...

--

No idea if it was the proper term, but we always called it banding, and
everyone seemed to know what that meant. FLW/Prairie Style brought it in

--
aem sends...