Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default Drilling opposing 90 degree holes through round tube

Is this the best way to accomplish this, or is there a better way I'm
missing?

What is the volume? Are you doing a part a day or a thousand parts a day?
Somewhere in between?

If you have high volume, there is a better way. Drill from both sizes of
the part at the same time... Probably the best way to do this is with an
automatic drill set up. If the placement is really critical, you can
retract the bits into drill bushings each time and have the bushings very
close to the surface of the tube so that the deflection or "bending" of the
drill "bit" is greatly minimized during the process. We have folks holding
very close tolerances with simple set ups like this... But the cost is
higher than a small drill press, that's for sure.

Low volume? The ideas shared by others are better than what I can type.

Let me know if I can help with the high volume solution - even if it means
concept only and not a quote from me.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022