Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default Signed up for Welding class

Joe Pfeiffer wrote in
:

"RAM³" writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote in
:

So... the definition of "Community College" there calls for only
one community to have the college?

It's a cost-effective way of maximizing the use of the existing
equipment without spending anything upon either maintenance or
consumables.

From my perspective (I'm a computer science professor at NMSU), it
just seems totally contrary to the whole community college concept.
Having local access to vocational training like that is exactly what
CCs are supposed to be good at. Let's see... three of NMSU's four
community college campuses offer welding (I wonder why the fourth
doesn't... hmmmm...)

The CCC may also get a subsidy from the Feds as part of a
job-training program.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Here in my small Texas town, we have a Junior College which offers HVAC
classes and Auto Mechanics classes.

The local high school offers a Tractor Mechanics class as a part of the
Agriculture program.

The nearest Welding course, though, is an another town 25 miles away.

30 years ago, the Conroe, TX, Vocational High School offered adult night
classes in welding, machine shop, and general metalworking.

Each was a 40-hour class taught by the same teacher at the same time.

The best description of the welding class was "40 bucks for 40 hours and
all the rods that you can burn." grin

At the time, they only had O/A and stick.

They also had a pair of engine lathes and a mill that was in need of
repair.

Still, it was enough to learn some of the basic basics. grin