Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Surviving high heating oil prices

In article , krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
In article

, Ron
Peterson wrote:
On Jul 2, 8:15=A0am, "Bill" wrote:
It seems heating oil prices for next winter are going through the roof!

Convert to natural gas. It's cheaper, cleaner, and the utility can't
cut you off.

Some people can't get gas except propane. Geothermal heat pump is the way
to go. I wish I had one. If I had more info I might have tried to install one

myself.

Rather pricey installation costs though. Unless you have something
bigger than a shovel, it's a tough DIY. ;-)

I had oil for one season. That cost me about $1000 for the winter. I save a

little
since I had a gas line installed and use natural gas. New line, furnace, air,

hot water
heater for about $5500. My electric is cheap. Just wish I had the geopump.

In Vermont we used to go through about 225 gallons every three
weeks. We switched to natural gas about ten years ago even though
oil was a bit cheaper at the time. It cost me $25 plus $12/month for
a new burner. The gas company even ripped up the yard and replanted
the next spring.

Even though I have electric heat now (NE Ohio), electric heat would
have killed me then. My heating plan is to move further South. ;-)

Man that oil furnace used to pump out 160 degree heat from the vents, or what

ever
the overtemp setting was. Two of the cold air returns were blocked by rugs

when I moved
in. I also insreased fan speed. That oil furnace was 55 years old and still

working. Could
burn type I or II fuel.

Can't they all? Type-1 is kerosene, which is simply more highly
refined #2 fuel oil.

I don't think so. Kerosene is thinner. I forgot the explanation on the pump why it could use both fuels.
When I moved in the house the two tanks were half full. I only added and extra 150 gallons for
the rest of the winter. Sure glad to get rid of the stink and noise. Like a jet engine starting
up rumbling the house. And, I crossed my fingers all winter wondering if that 55 year old thing would keep running.
For years my brother would buy oil in the summer when it was cheaper. Now he has some for back up, and just uses electric.
About 4500 watts for the whole house. Says its cheaper.

greg